Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Boston Part 1: Arrival & Sam Adams Tour

Our flight to Boston left at 4:15 on Friday. Adam and I worked until almost 2, and then took a taxi from his work to the airport. Chester had been picked up by Curt the night before for his weekend with the L's.

We got to the airport a bit early (around 2:15), but better safe than sorry. Since it was Terminal 2, getting through security and to our gate was a breeze. We enjoyed some people watching at the bar and Adam enjoyed a beer while we waited. Our flight went off without any problems, and we arrived in Boston at our gate at 7:35 Eastern. The captain said the flight was 2 h 15 m. Pretty quick!


It was our first time flying Sun Country. It was fine, but I felt like they nickel and dimed you for everything. You had to pay for seat assignments. There was complimentary pop, but no snacks (unless you paid extra) or biscoff cookies (my fav)! You could also rent a DigE player for $6 which was loaded with movies/shows. No movies playing on a screen. The announcements were all pre-recorded. Which was kind of weird. Like the safety announcements, landing, seat belt sign announcements, etc. I would consider flying it again though if the price was right.

We took the Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit to South Station, then walked a few blocks to our hotel, the Hyatt Regency.

It was a very nice hotel with really nice staff! It was a little quirky that you had to take a elevator from the ground floor/concierge up to the lobby, and then a completely separate elevator up to the rooms. It was a bit annoying when you did it a lot, but that's probably the only thing I didn't like about the hotel. It was a great experience. The doormen were really helpful directing you to the closest T (or calling a taxi if you needed one - but we never did).


Once we were unpacked, we headed down to explore Chinatown. We ate at a forgettable Chinese restaurant that was highly recommended on Yelp. I was not impressed. I had a calamari dish that I thought would be stir fried, but was actually deep fried. The calamari were good, but that's about all it was. Deep fried calamari with no sauce and plain white rice on the side. Then my "strawberry daiquiri" definitely did not have any alcohol in it. I would have complained, but they didn't speak English well so I didn't think I'd get far. Oh well. Adam enjoyed his meal at least.

On Saturday, we got up early and headed down to breakfast. Included with our rate was the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. It was good, but nothing extraordinary and not worth $22 per person! But again, it was included so all we had to pay was gratuity.

Then we took the T down to the Samuel Adams Brewery. We walked up right at 9:30, and got on the first tour at 9:45. This was our sightseeing day, so we had a lot to fit in, hence why such an early brewery tour.


During the first part of the tour, we learned about the different ingredients in beer.


We sampled different roasts of the barley, and you could rub the hops between your hands. Adam liked this part. I skipped it.


Then we went into the brewery section and learned how they brewed. They don't actually do a lot of brewing at the Boston location, instead using it mainly to test different recipes and ideas.




Last was the sample room.


There I enjoyed a root beer, and Adam enjoyed the samples of 3 different kinds - regular Samuel Adams, a one day brew of a summer shandy, and their seasonal Oktoberfest. I liked that we got a little sampling glass to keep. It's cute!

 

Even though brewery tours aren't really my thing, I had to get a photo to at least show I was there!


After the tour, we walked back up to the T and took it back to the hotel. From there we walked a few blocks to Boston Common to start the Freedom Trail! More to come from that adventure tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment