Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rocking Chair Re-Upholstery Project

It all began with a rocking chair my dad got us at an auction a few years ago. It was a really neat antique rocking chair, but the fabric on it was hideous. We (and by "we" I mean Adam and my dad) had done some re-upholstery before (remember our dining room chairs?) but this looked complicated - arm rests, a back and front with wood trim in between, a separate seat and a foot rest. So the chair just sat upstairs at our house for a year.

Then while looking for fabric for the dining room chairs, I found the perfect fabric for the rocker online at Fabric Maven. It's Massoud Hadleigh.I was obsessed. I ordered a sample and it was beautiful. I also was able to get an idea of what it would look like on a darker chair like my rocker-

Then for my Christmas present this year, my parents gifted me the re-upholstering of my chair. Awesome! My mom contacted the lady that had been recommended by her interior decorator and had done some cushion upholstery work for her in the past, took her the chair, and found out how much fabric I should order (2 yards).



My 2 yards of fabric arrived last week just in time for our visit to La Crosse.


Isn't it gorgeous?!
So Mom and I went out to the re-upholstery lady's house on Saturday morning. There we discussed which part of the pattern to use on the seat back, what kind of welting to use (create some with the fabric or use a different solid colored piping). She made some up for me quick so I could get an idea of what it looked like which was so helpful.


This is the chair, taken apart - she's putting new stuffing in too so it'll be more comfortable.
Decisions decisions - she gave me lots of options
Then we looked at a few different nail heads and discussed where to all place them. I decided on the plain nail head and it will only be across the top of the chair. It will also be all around the base of the foot rest.

Here's a before of the foot rest to give you an idea of the hideous fabric that was on there
Foot stool options
I can't wait to see it completed! It's going to be so pretty.

On the top you can see the fabric welting and where the nail head will be across the top.
Sadly, I don't have a "before" picture as the chair was down at my parent's house for a while before being taken to the re-upholstery lady. My mom thinks she has a before shot of it on her camera, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have one to share when I get the completed chair back. Excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment