As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I've been meaning to have our dining room chairs reupholstered for a while. They're antique and we got them as a housewarming gift from my parents when we bought our house. I love the set but the chairs are not very comfortable (like sitting on a board) AND they're pretty hideous (because of the lime green upholstery on them).
 |
| The lime green. Oh how I hate it. (Layer 1 - the top layer) |
After scouring Hancock Fabrics with Adam and striking out, I directed my fabric search online. There I discovered upholstery fabric isn't cheap. Who knew? I also found a pattern I really liked so I ordered it hoping the quality would be good and I'd like it just as much in person as a photo of it online. That was on Tuesday, and it arrived on Friday afternoon, just in time for my parents arrival. Luckily, I loved the fabric and it was nice thick quality. My dad brought with some supplies, so we were all set. The only thing we still needed were new cushions.
Taking apart the chairs to see what the cushion was, we learned that the lime green covering had been done by needlepoint. Yes, someone created that awesomeness by hand. A whole lot of time and effort went into a whole lot of ugly. We also discovered that there were two additional layers hiding underneath that weren't nearly as ugly as the top layer. The middle layer was in really good shape, but it just is not our style.
 |
| Layer 2 (the middle layer) - In good shape, but pretty drab. |
 |
| Layer 3 (the bottom layer) - In okay shape, but also drab. |
While everyone else was watching the Packers game, mom and I went to JoAnn Fabrics for seat pads. I agonized over what thickness to get, even testing the different foams out on the floor. Finally I just got one each of two different thicknesses to see what would work.
On Saturday morning, the guys started on the project. We decided the 2" pad would work after trying it on one of the chairs. While mom, Stine and I shopped, the guys went and picked up 3 more to do the rest of the chairs.
 |
| I think Adam liked using the staple gun |
 |
| The first is complete |
 |
A side by side comparison of the new and the old. You can see how much more cushion-y the new one is. YES!
Chester was equally impressed. |
When we got home at 12:30, the rest of the chairs were complete. It was like magic. They look oh so good. Now they're comfortable to sit in AND they look great! It's like getting a whole new set of dining room chairs. Thank you Adam and dad!
 |
| It's like a whole new chair! Love it. |
I have the upholstery picked out for my next reupholstering project (an old rocker upstairs), but this one may be more challenging. We may have to actually take it somewhere, which isn't nearly as satisfying (or inexpensive) as DIY.
No comments:
Post a Comment